Provisional Dates for Camp
Mini camp will be held at Glan Y Wern Farm, Llandyrnog, if COVID restrictions allow us, from 29th to 31st May. This will be for members aged 10 years and under.
Main camp 24th to 27th July.
AREA 5 PANTO HORSE DRESSAGE to MUSIC COMPETITION
As we are still in lockdown, how about entering a dressage competition as a panto horse?! You could be developing/designing the test until such time as you are able to practise together. You don’t need a proper costume, just a horse rug over you and a balaclava or something. It will make you think about footfall sequences and dressage movements. Must show walk, trot and the canter on both leads. Let’s see your extended trot, canter pirouette and piaffe etc.! You will need somebody to video the performance and send to Meg.
- Closing date (which may move depending on restrictions!): 14th March
- Time – 2 minutes
- One member to be 13 or under, other member to be 14 and over.
- Please email to let Meg know of your intention to enter.
- Any questions email Meg on firstname.lastname@example.org
There will be Prizes. I hope you enjoy making your entry!
AREA 5 COLLAGE Competition
Once again, we are having a COLLAGE competition for you all while in lockdown. Any title/topic.
- Closing date – 10th February
- Min Size 21 x 30 cm. Max size 40 x 30 cm.
- Class 1 – 11 and under.
- Class 2 – 12 and over.
The Collage MUST have:
- something in the PC colours
- some dry pasta – any shape
- at least one feather (do not pluck the budgie!)
- some aluminium foil
- at least one shell
When complete please email 2 photographs: one at 90 degrees i.e. normal, and the other at 45 degrees so that Meg can see it in relief.
Please register your intention to enter first (email@example.com). Meg doesn’t want your real name (give a nom de plume) but will need your Branch, age and email.
I hope you enjoy making your picture.
Online Training and Badges
We’ve had some really good feedback from the online sessions that have already taken place, and there are still more to go:
- 3rd February: C and C+ Training 7pm
- 6th February: Dressage Badge 11am
- 9th February: D and D+ Training 5.30pm
- 10th February: C and C+ Training 7pm
- 11th February: Lorinery Badge 6.30pm
- 13th February: Dressage Badge 11am
- 16th February: D and D+ Training 5.30pm
- 17th February: C and C+ Training 7pm
Find out more and book onto the events on the website: https://www.fndponyclub.org.uk/bookings/
Find out more about tests and badges on the PCUK website:
- Test syllabi: https://pcuk.org/members/training/test-syllabuses/
- Achievement badges: https://pcuk.org/achievement-badges/
- Mini Achievement badges: https://pcuk.org/mini-achievement-badges/
- Competition badges: https://pcuk.org/competition-badges/
PCUK CEO Update
We are extremely busy at The Pony Club at the moment, ensuring that we keep supporting everyone. Our activities have predominantly moved online, with our brand-new online learning resources, which are fantastic. However, we are also aware that you need a break from those computer screens, so we have some fun competitions to get you all moving at home, with more to come.
I know our Branches and Centres are doing all they can to offer lockdown fun and learning and we are very grateful for their dedication and commitment. We also appreciate the kind words from our Members sharing their enjoyment of the activities and support for what we are achieving in these challenging times.
There is a lot in this CEO update, but it is important information throughout for everyone, I hope it is valuable and I look forward to seeing our competition entries!
- The Lockdown Challenge – We are in week 3 of our challenge, but you can still take part. Download your tracker from our Members Area and scroll back on our social media to find the bonus challenges!
- Strictly on Foot Dressage – No ponies necessary, just download the test sheet and show us your accuracy of movement, fluency, and your creative flair for entertainment and extra points. The closing date is February 5th, so don’t miss your chance to send in your video!
- Pony Club Dog Dressage – Released today, our brand-new dog dressage competition, which will be great fun! We are looking for accuracy of the test, the partnership between dog and handler and the obedience of the dog. Extra marks are available for tests done off the lead and with no ‘hands on’ from the handler. BUT there is a prize for naughtiest dog, so send in your bloopers too! The closing date is February 19th, we can’t wait to see these videos.
New Learning Resources
We have been working hard with our sports committees to develop new online resources that Branches and Centres can deliver to Members to help them achieve our Introduction to Sport badges. We have utilised Google Classrooms and have designed modules that enable Members to learn about the sports using photos, videos and short presentations. Our first badges are:
- Introduction to Pony Racing
- Introduction to Endurance
To access the Google Classroom, you need to login to your shared Google Drive account. Once in this area click on the Google Apps button and then select Classroom.
We understand the pressures many are under currently and I wanted to ensure that everyone knows that from whenever you can join or renew your membership with The Pony Club, it will last for a full 12 months.
For example, if you joined us in April 2020 you will not need to renew until April 2021. We are sending out renewal reminders for all those due to expire, to ensure you are aware of the date and if you are reliant on The Pony Club insurance to highlight this will expire with your membership, alongside access to the competitions and resources.
If you cannot stay with us at this time, we very much look forward to welcoming you back when you can. We will stay in touch with you, unless you tell us otherwise, and look forward to seeing you again soon.
Important Safety Check
The safety of our Members and their ponies is paramount. Whilst we are unable to travel at the moment it is the ideal time to check our horse transport to ensure that it is safe to use. For example, did you know that the Government have introduced a ban on tyres over 10 years old for heavy vehicles? For more information click here.
Polocrosse – Four Nations Nominations
The Polocrosse Committee are very pleased to share the opening of the selection process for the Four Nations Home International. Members wishing to be considered for this prestigious event taking place at Celyn Polocrosse Club in July need to submit the nomination form, CV and reference by 30th April 2021.
Members will be selected based on meeting of the criteria and information from their club. For further information please click here.
Centres Connect – Webinar
Episode 5 – Winter Survival, is another great webinar to share all the resources you can access and deliver to your Members whilst your Centre is closed. We have Pony Club Coaches and Proprietors sharing top tips that are helping them and their Members stay connected to The Pony Club Community. Centre Proprietors can view it via the usual link.
- Treasurer Training – The Finance Team have been developing a catalogue of resources to support all our volunteer treasurers. Whether you are experienced in this role or new in post these training videos provide you will all the information you need to run your Branch efficiently. Thank you to Sue Woolnough, our Finance Manager, for taking the time to create them.
- Safeguarding Training – Have you booked your place on the virtual ‘Safeguarding for Equestrians’ course? The course is suitable for individuals who coach, volunteer or work for The Pony Club to meet your safeguarding training requirement. The virtual sessions are being delivered in place of the in-person courses. Those who are attending their initial course or refreshing their knowledge are encouraged to attend. We have a variety of dates coming up in February and March, places cost £25 per person. You can book your place by clicking on the date of interest here.
I also wanted to share that one of our officials recently attended a British Show Jumping Officials training course led by Level 5 Course Designer Krissy Spiller. She focused on building encouraging courses that help horses to jump fluently and positively, and they found it very valuable. I can also thoroughly recommend her book, available at www.krissyspiller.co.uk, it holds lots of useful information and guides for riders, coaches and course designers at all levels.